FlashTape Virtual Tape drive – the ‘tapeless’ tape drive
The Avax FlashTape tape emulation unit is unit that appears to the host system as a legacy tape drive, but stores data to industry standard Compact Flash (CF) cards.
Many legacy tape drives are no longer manufactured and tape repair houses are finding it increasingly difficult to obtain spare parts. Many process control systems or telecom switches rely on specific tape drives to store or input data. Avax FlashTape drives can replace these drives with a reliable alternative with no moving parts.
Some applications are written to only operate with a specific type of tape drive, which creates a problem when the drive fails and cannot be repaired.
The Avax FlashTape is a small stand-alone unit that offers an easy alternative by providing tape drive emulation of a variety of legacy tape drives giving a plug & play option with the applications that require them. Whether you need a DAT replacement, 8mm replacement, 1/4″ tape replacement or a 1/2″ reel-to-reel replacement, the FlashTape is ‘plug and play’!
Flash Tape units have been successfully installed into many different Telecom Switches to replace the older technology units. Ask your Avax sales representative for more details.
- SCSI or Pertec interface Tape Drive Emulation using Flash Disk as tape.
- Emulates DAT, 8MM, AIT, QIC, DEC TLZ07, 3490E, IBM3590, DLT4000 and 9 track SCSI tape drives. Other emulations are possible – check with your Avax sales representative.
- Pertec FlashTape is a direct replacement for 1/2″ tape units using the Pertec interface.
- Supports Compact Flash, XD, MMC, Microdrive, Memory Stick or SD card (via suitable PCMCIA adapter).
- Zero tape positioning times – useful for quick file positioning when reading the “tape”.
- Removable media can be treated as a single tape
- Disks are solid state Compact Flash cards — rugged and readily available media.
- Eliminates problems of slow backups shoe-shining the tape drive, which eventually leads to failures.
- Can be dual-ported so that two or more Hosts can share the unit.
- The disk itself can also be saved back to a regular tape drive in an off-line fashion.— simply connect the tape drive and select this function in the menu (with optional display).
- Simple Plug & Play installation
- A small, lightweight alternative to a real tape drive.
- Optional front panel LCD display shows current drive activity
For more information on the Rosemount units, please download a copy of the data sheet.
For more information on the Measurex units, please download a copy of the datasheet.
For more information on the Pertec Flash Tape, please download a copy of the data sheet.